Author Topic: The right to individualism doesn't exist  (Read 578 times)

The right to individualism doesn't exist
« on: February 03, 2020, 07:50:01 PM »
I know you're not going to read or reply much even less care that I exist because really, nobody does!

But here's my take on something we should consider in order to perhaps make humanity a tad less feral and about 4% more civilized:
The law does not have protection for individualism despite it's outlines of making discrimination of race, ethnicity, religion, disability or sex...
Nowhere in these outlines are the defenses towards individualism as we have express it today. It is perfectly legal for employers, businesses and other entities
to discriminate in the base of cultural background, appearance, zip codes and income. It is still not illegal to deny services to someone with tattoos,
it's still not illegal to isolate individuals simply because "we don't like them" despite having no evidence of wrongdoing,
it's still not illegal for employers to reject and/or fire people for dyeing their hair and it's still not illegal to force dangerous dress codes like mandatory heels.
[those were just examples]

I know it's too much to ask of humanity to care about the wellbeing of others, but I want this to hold into conversations and maybe... maybe if humanity
actually wants to be civilized, I hope the right to individuality becomes law. Nobody should have to conform to a template because all that matters in the inner
strength and abilities of the people around us.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:52:00 PM by Pi_Rol »

Re: The right to individualism doesn't exist
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 10:20:29 PM »
hmmmm I never really looked at society in that light. But I dont think the vast majority will ever be like that because people judge each other too quickly. It's like how some people don't like you and no matter what you do they STILL dont like you. And where do the force people to wear heels?

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 06:08:36 AM »
Throughout the last decade there have been many news stories from countries in Europe and Asia where women have been targeted by dress codes in the workplace from enforcing the usage of heels to even be paid for the work done for the day to banning the use of prescription glasses. Schools in the USA have been under scrutiny as well for targeting girls over their outfits that aren't even that attention-calling to begin with over the excuse that it's a distraction to the boys in class with no proof of it.
Across countless industries and careers there are still dress codes that demand employees to not have certain hairstyles or even facial hair.
I live in Puerto Rico and there are many jobs that require women to use heels while standing up for hours at commission pay [not even an hourly wage].

Offline Andy Peterson

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 11:01:02 AM »
hmmmm I never really looked at society in that light. But I dont think the vast majority will ever be like that because people judge each other too quickly. It's like how some people don't like you and no matter what you do they STILL dont like you. And where do the force people to wear heels?

People will always dislike one another, however I don't think it's impossible that they can begin to understand and accept one another. I think there is a shift happening (albeit a slow one) towards a more understanding and sympathetic future. The fact that these issues are being acknowledged and challenged rather than simply accepted as societal rules is proof of that. The question is can we grow into a better version of ourselves before the planet becomes uninhabitable  :)
Success is inevitable. All you have to do is say the word.

- Dillard Maxis ⛱

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 07:38:40 PM »
Damn I agree. like 100%. That would be the one thing to show true progression as a society.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 03:01:00 PM »
The true problem behind this, how I see it, is that we see humans in our capilatistic world based on their economical value and especially on workplaces with their higher stance on the social hierarchy, this lead to a fierce competetion.
As for now, I only see a true UBI as the solution of this.

vaporwaveforum vaporwave vaporwave vaporwave vaporwave vaporwave bandcamp vaporwave vaporwave playstation Coffee