Author Topic: CONSUMERISM IN VAPORWAVE  (Read 2050 times)

CONSUMERISM IN VAPORWAVE
« on: October 31, 2018, 03:15:18 AM »
>EST PEOPLE?

>mE nEed HAlp. I have R.I.P. situation, I'm studying graphic design and we must make book, my topic was "Beggining of vaporwave", but then my lecturer changed it into consumerism :) (kill me), still I would like to use vaporwave design in it and I was wondering maybe I could make new topic about consumerism in vaporwave. Probably I wrote all in a bit complicated way, but maybe someone has any ideas about consumerism and vaporwave together?

>mille grazie

Offline Eis-T

Re: CONSUMERISM IN VAPORWAVE
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 12:08:57 AM »
I'd say the connection between vaporwave and consumerism is ambivalence. vaporwave is BOTH a nonstalgic glorification of excessive 90's consumer culture AND a (marxist) critique of late capitalism. I see why your teacher changed the theme as it is so strongly connected!
some other people wrote school essays about vaporwave and posted em here on the forum. I suggest you have a look cause there is some great stuff written about vaporwave.

another interesting aspect of today's vaporwave scene is the whole 12" and casette collector culture that has emerged. how did a anti-capitalist internetculture that was about giving screwed and stolen records away for free on bandcamp become so obsessed with paying 100,- for a rare vinyl? Do VW fans collect "ironically"? Has capitalism found its way to co-opt another anti-capitalist culture?
"Thank you for choosing Eis-T as your personal refreshment today"
https://eis-t.bandcamp.com/releases

Re: CONSUMERISM IN VAPORWAVE
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 12:22:48 AM »
Thank you so much for your answer! I'll check those essays for sure. When I'll finish the book, I'll share it on here too. 

vaporwaveforum vaporwave vaporwave vaporwave vaporwave vaporwave bandcamp vaporwave vaporwave playstation Coffee